• header_03.jpg
  • header_01.jpg
  • header_02.jpg
  • header_04.jpg
  • header_05.jpg
Stadtkirche  

 

 

CATHOLIC PARISH CHURCH Rapperswil

The Catholic parish church has stood on the castle hill since the foundation of the independent parish of St. Johann in 1253. It was rebuilt in 1882 in the neo-Gothic style following a fire.

 

The renaissance altars and the church's treasures are worth a visit. In 1253 the church ceased to be under the auspices of the old parish of Busskirch and was thus no longer subject to the right of patronage of Pfäfers Abbey.

 

The late Gothic choir was widened between 1493 and 1497. In 1506 the subsequent reformer Ulrich Zwingli is said to have preached his first sermon as deacon in Rapperswil.            

 

In 1531 the old decoration succumbed to the Iconoclastic Fury; only four painted altars from the early Renaissance have been preserved. In 1882 the church was rebuilt in a neo-Gothic style following a fire. Interior and exterior renovation work was carried out between 1959 and 1967.

 

The church treasures in Rapperswil are the richest in the Linth region. The Liebfrauenkapelle (constructed in 1253) is situated to the northwest of the parish church including the ossuary dating from 1253 when Rapperswil became an independent parish and received a cemetery.

 

Sacraments
First communions, confirmations, weddings and funerals take place at St. Johann's church. 

 

Parish St. Johann
Parish office
Herrenberg 45
8640 Rapperswil

+41 55 225 78 10

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.krj.ch 

News

Next city walking tours
16th September 2017, 2pm

SBB: Online timetable

SBB|CFF|FFS

Timetable

To: Rapperswil SG, Bahnhof
Date:
Time:
Departure
Arrival
Railway Information

Weather


Facebook

qq